Friday, March 04, 2005

An Unfortunate Event Indeed


I woke up early this morning to catch this movie, Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events. As I left the cinema, I realised how apt the title was. It was really unfortunate that the movie was made. It was one of those movies you go into and you have a sense of relief when you walk out - because its finally over. Well, I'm exaggerating, but no as much as Jim Carrey's acting in the film.

The first hour went by alright. But it was like an itch. Its ok because initially you can bear with it. But past the first hour, and after the first "pseudo-ending", every minute clawed at your conciousness. You tell yourself - GET OUT whilst you can!

I can't put my finger on what I hated about it. Perhaps it was the story line and how incredible and utterly random it was. Perhaps I've finally got enough of rubber-face Jim and his over the top acting. Perhaps it was the fact that the movie was told in the third person, Mr Snicket i presume - constantly breaking up the momenteum of the movie with flashes to him bent over his typewriter as he types out the story. Perhaps it was the constant and ridiculous references to the Little Elf, a cartoon character that ever so often pops up.

There were parts of the movie which were bearable though. The lead child-actress, Emily Browning put up a brilliant performance playing the role of Violet. She is way better than Ms Granger of Harry Potter. Well, but Potter is safe. Cos as much as Lemony was touted as a competitor to Potter, the writer, or at least the director who took the book and made it into a movie didn't do the print version justice. J.K Rowling is still a more interesting read.

Well, all was not lost. I had the brilliant company of Gavin, who had 5 hours to kill before his next lecture and hence drove all the way to Bishan from NTU. He enjoyed it I think. Oh well...

I should have taken the advice at the start of the movie. We were told to walk out if we didn't want to see a movie about 3 children and a plotting evil. I should have upped and left. Posted by Hello

No comments: