Sunday, March 20, 2005

The Ipoh Adventure Part 3 - Empty House


Everytime I come to our place in Cheras (henceafter known as Cheras), I’m reminded of my room in Bristol.

No, they are not alike in anyway, but rather I’m reminded of the fact that it takes what the Chinese call ‘ren qi’ to make a house a home.

I believed in that strongly when I first moved to my room in the hostel. Every year, I will make sure that there are posters, electrical appliances, decorations in order to make the room a livelier and more homely place. I believed that if the room was laid sparse, it wouldn’t be a home, and I wouldn’t want to spend time in it – rather I’d be out in the pubs or bumming at other people’s houses.

Well, it worked too well. In the end, I rather spend time at home watching tv and having an freshly brewed espresso (yes, I had the machine) rather than go to class. Ha.

You will be surprised how much a difference coming home to a fully stocked fridge makes. That there is always food in the home when you are feeling peckish. When you walk into the bathroom and you know where all your toiletries are. Or just knowing that you can plonk in a familiar bed with a familiar smell. Do we take home for granted? Since Mom does everything?

But Cheras is totally empty and it makes me feel dead. Posted by Hello

No comments: