Tuesday, March 22, 2005

The Dance of the Hot-and-Cold


If there is one thing I really hate about re-entering the foray into the land of happy relationships, is the portion that all budding lovers encounter – the hot-and-cold period.

This is the period where the two individuals who may or may not like each other mutually do the little dance of feigning disinterest but getting excited over the next phonecall – made by the party that inevitably crumbles.

Why can’t Asians be more straightforward? Why can’t someone just suck it in and go up and say, “I like you a lot.” And get a straightforward reply? Is it because we are afraid of getting hurt? Or is it because our culture’s only response to something like that is to flee? And this is not restricted to the men, women should step up to the plate as well.

I remember the time I said something like that to someone in Bristol. She replied, “Well, but I don’t really like you that way, darling. I’m sorry, but let’s go out for martinis ok?”

It makes it so much easier for a man to keep his ego unbruised. So, yes, maybe it’s the culture.

And yes, she and I are the best of friends now.

Well, I guess there is no alternative but to stay on the dance floor, getting little flutters whenever it looks as if she’s responding, and sulking when she plays hard to get.

What to do? Posted by Hello

No comments: