Saturday, March 19, 2005

Ipoh Adventure Part 1 - The Drive Up


I’m in Kuala Lumpur this weekend. Usually, I wouldn’t come up to Malaysia so often but Mom and Pops have got a free hotel stay in Ipoh, and even though there is probably absolutely nothing to do there, they are insisting that we ‘take advantage’ of the offer? (or was it the other way round?)

J says that I should consider myself ½ a Malaysian already. We have a property in Cheras, KL, I have a whole extended family of cousins twice-removed scattered all over West Malaysia, I’m here almost once a month, I’ve got loads of people from here I’d consider friends (like you, Kim) et cetera.

I have nothing against Malaysia personally, but besides the fact that we have the stronger dollar, It is almost exactly the same as Singapore. Heck, even some things cost the same – for example, Nike shoes, electronics, the food… So, besides the fact that it is a change of scenery, I really wouldn’t bother driving 4 hours up here.

Driving up today was different. Firstly, instead of starting out at 10 in the morning like we used to, we left our house at 5pm, since Dad had to work. Hence, all set for a night drive we set off. Of course, considering what gluttons Dad and I are, we had scarcely driven for 45mins before hunger pangs hit and we decided to stop for an early dinner. If we are going to stop for food all the time this trip, we are never going to make it to anywhere in time… haha…

Anyway, after dinner and a 100 kilometres towards KL, we hit a bump and the car started vibrating violently. Somehow, even at a pit-stop we couldn’t see anything wrong with the tires. But 20 km later, there was a sudden thud and the loud vibrations became “thumps thumps” on the road. It was only then that I realised that my genius of a Dad had decided to drive 1,400km on a set of 3 year old worn out tires.

Upon closer inspection under the light of a torch and braving the buses zooming dangerously close to the road shoulder where we had stopped, I realised that the tires were worn out and the wires (lining the tires) had been exposed! Grr…

The next 10 minutes were a dice with death as we changed the tire on a road shoulder obviously not designed for it. Dad! Move your butt in, you are going to get ‘kissed’ by the next truck that comes along!

Along the whole way, we are constantly being tail-gated by people in souped-up cars – heading to Sepang this weekend to watch F1. And they think they are racers… Sad.

Finally arrived in KL at 1030pm. Headed to Kuchai Lama for more food. Now sitting at my laptop as Mom mops the whole place down. Offered to help but she says I’d only get in her way. Dad gets the same response – hence he is reading the papers now. Women - and you say we don't help around the house. Ha!

To be continued… Posted by Hello

No comments: