Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Pro Choice

Are you a pro-lifer or a pro-choice?

The internet is abuzz with the Califonian case Schiavo. She is a person in a permanative vegetative state. Her husband (and legal guardian) has effectively euthanised her because he has asked the doctor to withdraw her feeding tubes. This is even though her parents (who created her and now have no power over her life after she got married) want to keep her alive.

I say effective euthanised because euthanasia is still illegal in most parts of the world, including the US. Though the doctor is killing her, it is not an act of commission (ie, injecting her with drugs that will kill her) but rather an act of omission (ie, withdrawing medical treatment - in this case, feeding her). So, the grey line in the line has suddenly gotten a little bit clearer.

Are you a pro-life or a pro-choice person? This includes abortion, so think about it before you decide. I'm pro-choice. I'd want to choose when I die and have no intention of remaining a vegetable. Albeit in the case above, it is quite grey because it is her husband who has made the decision to end her life, and not Terri herself. Thats why I think its very important to create a living will.

My choice is simple. I don't want to be a vegetable nor do I want to prolong the suffering of those who love me as they see me lying day to day in a non-motive state in the hospital, and worrying about the bills. Thats why I have left specific instructions in my will that my brother, B1 has the final call. Not only is he is executor of my estate, he is also the executor of my body. He will make the decision when to pull the plug and give my organs to people who need a second chance in life.

If only Terri had made such a will. Things would have been much simpler.

P.S. I'm writing this so people won't be contesting my decision if the time comes. Its is eternally (or at least as long as the server is up) on the Web. Haha.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

pro-choice person i am too. naturally i wouldnt enjoy hanging on to my life by a thread. would rather float away, be free and easy.

abortion is a very cruel process but yet it is not infinitely more cruel than to give birth to the kid and not be able to give it enough love, care, concern and time.

Rambling Alcoholic said...

I agree with you on abortion. I think the lesser evil is not to give life rather than to bring it into a world devoid of love.

Did you know that there was the Advanced Medical Directive Bill passed in Singapore in 1996? You should go check it out. I am.