Saturday, April 23, 2005

Swimming

There something I just love about swimming.

Besides it being a great low impact exercise thats easy on my joints, I also love the feeling of weighlessness as you float in an alien medium. Its absolutely relaxing and familiar - like returning to your mother's womb. I think swimming, with your head underwater is a great place to collect one's thoughts and to think. Its a silence not found on terra firma and there is nothing I enjoy more than doing leisurely breast strokes and humming a classic, like Mozart's No. 5 whilst blowing out bubbles... and apparently since water carries sound better than air, don't be surprised if you suddenly hear music as you are swimming one day.

So I've been around trying different neighbourhood pools. Here's what I think of some of them.

Clementi - Nice pool with enough deck chairs, but too many gay men. Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not homophobic, and I do have gay friends. I don't mind if you look at me from across the pool, or from a deck chair but really, its kinda rude to stare at my butt as I'm taking a shower. So, please stop.

Hougang - Too many screaming school kids taking lessons, who swim breathwise instead of lengthwise resulting in you either having to stop mid-stroke or risk getting kicked in the face.

Serangoon - Only 2 pools - one adult one wading, resulting in everyone young and old being crammed into the big pool. Nothing irks me more than slow swimmers in the fast lanes. Other than that, this pool has the highest bikini factor.

Bishan - So far, this is the best pool I've found. Except that the water in the competition pool is oddly salty. Weird.

So, have you swum recently?

P.S> The other good thing about swimming is that you get more from it than normal exercise. Being tanned makes one look fitter than they actually are. Ha.

2 comments:

Titania said...

chlorine makes one's hair become dry. i suppose u can shave it all off though

Rambling Alcoholic said...

thanks for the spite. =P