Wednesday, April 20, 2005

In the News

There has been a spate of National Kidney Foundation bashing going around in Blogosphere, and I would normally jump onto the bandwagon. However, I've decided against it. Call it superstitious or irrational if you want, but I do believe in karma and I don't really want a situation where I have to swallow my words if (touchwood) one day my kidneys do fail.

So, with great restraint...

1. I do agree that its bad to encourage donations by dangling a reward to 'encourage' the donor. This removes the whole altruistic value of charity.

2. I agree that the donors should be told how much they are donating with one phonecall. Sneakily, it is now possible to chalk up $50 from one call because it 'donates' ten times.

3. I agree that all monies donated should be given to the charity. Why should there be a few cents for GST and an administration charge for dailing in? The answer? It's because the telcos know how much money NKF already has and hence cannot be bothered to absorb the cost. They are dealing with NKF as a commercial entity and not a charity.

4. I agree with the saying that we have to spend money to get money. Hence NKF is one of the only 'charities' in Singapore who can come out with $1 million to commission a show with MediaCorp. For a $1 million investment, they get back a net profit of $5 million. Sounds like good business to me. However, by having such a show annually, and with reserves of up to $300 million, they are being selfish in taking a BIG slice of the charity pie. Why don't they form a trust with the money they already have, and with the permission of the Minister invest in low risk funds? Sure, low risk = low returns, but at $300 million, its enough for you to run the centres.

5. Ever wondered why most NKF centres are linked with temples or churches? That's because NKF doesn't pay for everything and the 'partner' shares the cost. So ever wonder where your money goes to?

6. There is a rule by the National Council of Social Services at least 70-75% of all money spent has to be spent on charitable purposes. I suppose thats why NKF goes around commissioning drama serials (education) and putting in money for the charity show every year. They have to. If not, there is no where to spend their money. That is also part of the reason why they have started the Children's Medical Fund and the Cancer Fund. There is not enough avenue to spend the Kidney money. Think about it. The National Kidney Foundation is branching into child diseases and cancer. Isn't that blurring their constitution?

NKF. I applaud you for for business acumen. But I honestly think you are greedy and too fat for your purposes. I'm supporting Kidney Dialysis Foundation instead.

No comments: