Friday, February 18, 2005

What’s on T.V?

As I’m sitting on my bed on a Friday night, with no where to go, I start watching the television in my room. But, there are only terrestrial channels on that tele. Sure, I could go downstairs to watch cable, but its too hot and humid outside the comfort of the air-conditioned room, plus I think my estate has a severe mosquito problem. So rather than being eaten alive, I’ll settle for the four channels that Mediacorp offers.

Which led me to wonder. What was life like before we had cable? Sure, it wasn’t too long ago when we only had TCS, but I was away for those years, and by the time I came back, cable was all I knew.

So, what are my options for tonight? Well, there is Royal Rumble on Channel 5, but I’m not quite game to watch testosterone and steroid induced rage, nor sweaty men who take joy in throwing each other around. However, I do know some people who actually enjoy this theatrical performance.

Channel 8 is showing one of my favourite shows. The Romance of Three Kingdoms. Yes, the one made in China. I don’t know what I like about it. Perhaps it’s the olde Chinese that they speak (which I hardly understand and have to rely on subtitles). Maybe it’s the fact that its historically accurate (more than what we can say about most Hollywood productions). Maybe it’s the whole warrior’s chivalry and the scale of the battles (they don’t scrimp on the extras and CGI is probably more expensive than hiring 1000 farmers for the day and dressing them up in costumes).

But I’m not watching it tonight. It’s the Fall of Shu. Liu Bei is waging war against the advice of his advisors against Wu. Aiyah. And since three of the 5 Tigers are already dead. His end is near too. Sigh…

Channel U is showing some Taiwanese martial arts drama. 13th Aunt-something. These things, you’ve seen one, you’ve seen all. Skip.

So I’m left with Channel News Asia. But I don’t feel like watching intelligent tv so late at night.

I guess I have to go down and brave the mossies then. Oh well.

No comments: