Monday, February 21, 2005

Marriage

How do you know she’s “The One”? I was talking to my buddy Gavin today and he said something to me. He thinks that his current squeeze of one year Vanessa is “The One”. He’s like me. He doesn’t believe in dating for the sake of dating someone, or companionship for that matter. It is all secondary because the main aim is marriage.

Well of course that was scary. On a few counts. Mainly because he is young, and they have only known each other for so long. But also because I have the same thing about dating someone for marriage.

So how does one know she’s “The One”? I know people who are talking about divorce, as well as people who are going to get married. How do they know or thought they knew? Were there signs? What do those signs look like?

I’m watching a re-run of The Race to the Altar. And hey, for a reality tv show about couples competing for a getting a fully paid wedding, they don’t even know! They are fighting over the smallest things like whether the men should go into a strip club for the bachelor’s party. (Do you know what’s sadder? Like many arguments with women, it’s about the idea of going into a strip club! It hasn’t happen yet!)

Well I guess I’m putting too much pressure on myself. Maybe its because I hope the next girl I date to be “The One”. I know its silly, but I don’t think I want to put myself through heartache again.

Silly? I think so. Juvenile? Yes. But do I want it? Sadly, I hope so.

No comments: