Thursday, February 24, 2005

Tears

I walked into the kitchen last night and to my shock and horror I saw my mom bent over the sink. She was clearly upset cos her face was red and she was sniffling. Taken aback, I walked over and bent over the sink to see what was upsetting her.
What I saw... I couldn't stop myself and started tearing as well.
My mom had been chopping onions.
Post Script: It was apparent that my mom could not chop anymore onions that night. You see, she chops enough shallots for the week at once, she then fries them in oil to keep. By chopping tonnes of it at once, her hands won't smell of bawang night after night. I told her to take a break and I took over the chopping. There was a trick I learnt in Bristol, which was to leave a running tap next to the chopping board as you dice the sulphurous monsters and it takes the acid away. It works, try it!

No comments: