Monday, August 15, 2005

Tasteless Dim Sum?


Over the weekend, I went to watch Dim Sum Dollies with the Gang. I must say, I left the theatre disappointed.

Though there has been an equal share of good and bad reviews, I had expected the show to be worth its hype. How wrong I was.

The humour was bland and depressing (who wants to laugh at the plight of food court aunties?), the energy of the performers were not there (perhaps because the run has been extended twice!) and the finale put the nail in its coffin.

The finale was a Nationalistic event, complete with "We are Singapore" being sung, giving out of little flags for the audience to wave... A big 4-0 to signify our nation's age et cetera. I still cringe when I think of it now. I'm sure the performers were 'forced' to do such a finale because of some Government money they had recieved. But the response was cold. At one point in time, Hossan Leong was asking the audience to sing along and wave... only to a murmur... haha... I tell you, the performers must have been kicking themselves.

There were some parts that were good, for example the Bollywood sequence where Emma Yong changed so quickly on-stage that I am amazed on the skill of this theatre thespian.

Anyway, all in all, I don't think it was worth my money. Heard the second run, last year was so much better.

No comments: