Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Strength in Adversity

I was inspired to write this post cos I pass that place to work every morning...

I've never told anyone this, but I try to avoid shopping at the Cold Storage in Holland Vee. Why? Well, its cos I have an ex-classmate who is working there as a cashier/stockist.

He is tall, and was well-built. In fact, he was so crazy about keeping toned that he would spend recess working out. He might not have been really intelligent, but I liked his mother, who is a teacher in NJC. He speaks perfect English, and can be quite fun to hang around with.

He had a whole future in front of him, but now, he seems just really satisfied to be working there. I've lost touch with him for a few years now, but 3 years ago, when I was still a student, I had entered into the supermarket and he called out to me. We had a quick chat before I had to run off for a party with the bottle of wine I had bought.

I mean, he was not the most 'normal' of people, and always seemed to be out of sorts. Sometimes, I spy him talking to himself.

Its sad how certain members of our society are crippled by mental instability, fear of the world out there and the lack of confidence in what they can do with their lives.

A friend was relating to me a story of her friend, who know just sits at home with her cats after certain set-backs in life. She is 23.

Then you see people who grab life by the nuts. Who take adversity in their stride. Like the blind buskers who sing for pennies. Like the old ladies who go around collecting cardboard and aluminium cans.

And then there is that kid who sits in the Scotts underpass, all of 24, begging for money. I sometimes resist the urge to take a roll of 5 cent coins and flick it at him, hard, one by one.

If life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Be strong.

1 comment:

rench00 said...

watch Be With Me. she's deaf and blind and yet she acts an active livestyle, contributing to society, inspiring those around her.

a real tear-jerker in the warm, fuzzy feeling sort of way.

:)