Monday, December 21, 2009

Avatar Review


We watched the best movie of 2009 over the weekend.

James Cameron is a visionary and really took SFX and CGI to the next level. I would advise everyone to watch the 3D version. Its magical.

To be honest, I wasn't keen on watching the movie in the first place. I thought to myself, its another boring cartoon - and I will walk out not relishing nor hating the experience. But I was wrong.

Yes, the storyline is predicable. Pochahontas-type. Enemy falls in love with village chief's daughter... turns to the other side... ladida.

But there are nuances in the story.

The scene where the tree burns... remind you of 911? When Michelle Rodriguez uses the term "matyrdom"... isn't it a throwback to whats happening in the world now?

The Americans used Afganistan and several of the Arab countries as proxies for the Cold War. Now they are biting back.

It is also poignant to note that this movie was also about our current relentless greed to strip the world of resouces and what we might end up with - which is quite sad, considering what (did not) happen in Copenhagen.

All in all, an excellent movie. Such that I want to catch it another time, just to pick up smaller details.

9.5 /10

Ok, so not everyone liked it. Alternative review here.

No comments: