Friday, February 27, 2009

Toxic Friends

I have been thinking about this issue of toxic friends a lot recently.


We all have them, whether by choice or not.

You know, these are the ones who take more than they give, may be a bad influence in your life, who burden you with their problems, who simply, are bad for you. You just know that they are bad for you.

Why do we still hang around these toxic people? Well one reason could be because there has been no impetus – the thought might have crossed your mind, but you just never mustered the effort to push them away.

Or, they recently became toxic. Or they are part of this group of other non-toxic people that you hang out with. The reasons are numerous.

One new category of toxic friends are those people who are actually good people. But because of how you treat them, or maybe you have a romantic interest in them, they become bad for you – they make you distance yourself away from how you should be as a person.

I have come to the realization that 2009 must be the Year of Me. That I need to make myself a good person and bring joy to those around me. And step one, is to cut out all these toxic friends (well, at least those that I know off anyway).

4 comments:

Persephone said...

If you look into the karma perspective... it is easier to understand.

Elvina aka LaoNiang said...

Sometimes it's easier to see the toxicity in others, but not so easy in ourselves.

Maybe we are toxic for our friends too.

Maybe you just need to discover yourself first - and then the right kind of people will be drawn to you.

Rambling Alcoholic said...

1. Karma? That having bad friends is my karma? I dont understand, kindly explain?

2. Well, consider this a selfish post. Its about ppl who are toxic to me, and not about whether im toxic for them?

Persephone said...

When I mentioned karma, I didn't mention good or bad. Everything happens for a reason. What goes round comes around. Out of millions in the world, why do you think only you will bump into him/her? People walked into your life for a reason. Either to teach us something or in return to learn something from us. Hence, I wouldn't think of anyone as toxic as noone can harm or hurt me without my permission ya :)