Thursday, February 01, 2007

A Comment.

To this post about a polygamist marriage in the news.

Someone had left a reply. I thank her for her generosity in allowing us to learn a little about her life and for sharing her opinion. Read below:

"I am a wife to a poly man. There are 2 wives in our family. We are your typical surburban family, there just happens to be 2 mommies for our 5 little ones. When I first read this post by Maggie, I found it quite strange to be honest. I am not a member of the FLDS or any of the other religions that say they practice poly for God. We are Biblical Christians that see no prohibition in the Bible for poly. So, it is simply a choice. I truly feel sorry for this woman. Her husband has been brainwashed and shared his "knowledge" with his wives. While there are nutballs out there, most polygs are happy, healthy families. Period. I have enjoyed reading your comments."

But the question I beg to ask is - is this true? Is there is no prohibition for polygamy in the Bible? Can someone kindly let me know? Reference to quotes please.

3 comments:

JayWalk said...

My understanding to the concept of polygamy that it was originally introduced to for surviving men to take of widows and their children at a time when many men were lost to wars.

Rambling Alcoholic said...

That was true for the Muslims, and a fatwa was issued to allow a man to take care of his brother's wife and children because the Muslims lost many men due to the Crusades.

But I'm not sure of Christianity.

JayWalk said...

You are right about that being of muslim origin.

I would think that it would be the same since it's the same situation on both sides of the crusade even though there was nothing explicitly mentioned in christian scriptures.

Speaking of scriptures, the old testament did mention of men having multiple wives, come to suggest that it was accepted practice since day 1.