Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Skills Honed By Time...

I have a very old main gate. Its made of cast iron, with a design that looks like it has existed since colonial days. The key to this said gate is made of brass, and looks like one of those old keys that might open prison doors.

When we took over the house a decade ago, we made several copies of the key... I don't know how or where my parents did it, but it was done.

With a decade of use and abuse, several of the keys have now been worn down. They still work, but where the bumps and raised lumps used to be is now a flat, smooth and shiny surface.

I decided that I needed a new key cos mine was all bent out of shape. (the door is heavy and I use the key as a handle to pull it open - ha!)

However, we traversed the whole of Singapore looking for a Mr Minute (or equivalent) to do a copy.

Most shops did not have the template key- they turned me away.

Some shops tried to machine me a key - but they did not work.

I almost gave up looking.

Till last Friday, as B3, the GF and I were walking down Joo Chiat, we spied an old man sitting along the side of the 5 foot way. He was dressed simply in a white singlet and what suspiciously looked like pyjamas. Next to him was a key making machine, and a box of his tools. I thought to myself, "let's give it one last shot" and handed the key to him.

He examined the key closely, and turned to the pile of what I thought was trash behind him and started rummaging through it. He pulled out a template key, sat down next to his tools and started filing away with a straight file.

I looked in disbelief as this man was making a key from scratch, without using a machine! I must admit, I didn't think the key would work, but figured that he needed the $4 more than I did.

I let him continue and in 5 mins it was done. Complete with a little key ring that he gave as an "extra".

He smiled a toothless grin as I handed him the cash and thanked him in whatever dialect I knew. Grasping the key in hand, I walked away, expecting to have to throw this key away, like the previous ones I had made.

But lo and behold! I reached home and put the key in the door. "Click". It works!

Therein lies the magic of experience and skills honed by time. A man who made a key that modern machines could not replicate, using just his experience, good eyes and a steady hand.

I was very impressed.


2 comments:

FF said...

I like this post. :)

Rambling Alcoholic said...

Ha... FF, I really thought you had disappeared from the world of blog!