Thursday, March 02, 2006

RAGE!

My colleague's English is so bad I want to take up my chair and beat her to death with it!

ARGH!!!

Actually, I'm fighting the urge to turn around and correct her every sentence.

You see, my company has recently hired a telemarketer to find new companies to buy. She is a Malaysian from some kampung town in Ipoh. Diploma graduate some more. But her command of the English language is sooo... bad that although she tries, I can never understand her! And believe me, considering I have met people from Nigeria, India, China and Slovenia, I do make an effort to understand what they are trying to say.

But with her... I give up. She always goes, "umm... whatch i mean is"... and that really drives me up the wall.

And can you imagine she is calling all these SME 500 companies, and talking to their MDs? She sits behind me, and I cringe when she calls them and the first thing she asks is, "I understand that are you the owner of the company?" "The reason I am calling today is to ask you are you want to grow your company?"

Or better still, "You MD is Mr XXX, did he in?"

Tell you, if I was them, I would hang up.

ARGH... I need earplugs!

Tell you ah, when she sends me memos, I'll have to meet her and ask what she is actually intending to say, in Mandarin.

Sigh...

6 comments:

Rambling Alcoholic said...

Its the whole peanut-monkey thing.

Ha.

No, she's knocked up and nothing much to look at.

Cookie said...

I understand where ur anger's coming from... Had my fair share of encounters with such ppl in the past..

Telemarketer leh! "靠嘴巴吃饭" kinda job somemore... *faint*

Irony said...

HAHAHAHA! Now u can finally understand how I feel when I'm talking to my colleagues! Its sooo infuriating just listening to them try to explain to each other the service procedures...

Chris The Baker said...

Eh, so ah, your company want to grow big or not ah? Hmm...whatch I mean is. Your company want to employ more one or not ah? Hmm...whatch I mean is. I work for your company can or notch?

Seriously Mr. B, ask your company if they'd hire me in place of her. How 'bout it? I speeeks gooot engrish!

Chris The Baker said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Chris The Baker said...

Btw, a friend's post of similar sentiments...or rather...rage.
http://www.xanga.com/adrianchia?nextdate=9%2f4%2f2005+4%3a17%3a10.057&direction=n
His post on "English", way below the bottom of the page.