Friday, December 16, 2005

Service Standards

Funny story...

I had a buffet lunch in a hotel yesterday. It was a buffet and after gorging myself on all manner of meats and seafood, I felt the need for a good cup of coffee to end the meal.

This hotel had a coffee machine serving freshly ground coffee. So that was good. But after I dispensed the cup, I looked around for a teaspoon... and there were none. I asked the waiter, who was a young man, no older than 22. His reply to me was, "Sorrlee, peepur take the teaspoon go eat ice-cream. No more already". He gave me a defeated and somewhat nonchalant look.

Not wanting to kick up a fuss, I let it be and decided that if it was stirring that I needed to do, I could use my fork. But I made the mental note to give shite to the people I was dining with.

So I returned to my table and sat down. But before I could turn to my dining companion to tell him about what happened, the waiter ran up to me with a freshly washed teaspoon (was still wet) and offered it to me.

About 5 mins later, I got up and asked him where the toilets were. He offered to walk me to the Gents (I think he would have offered to help me unzip if I didnt stop him - haha!)

Why the vast difference in service? I understand its a buffet, so you will definately get some unruly diners. The hotel offers 40% discount to senior citizens dining there for lunch, so it was packed.

Why? Cos the person I was having lunch with owned the hotel.

Humans. Not motivated until they are scared.

1 comment:

absolutjoiz said...

the service that you've got it so superficial...but then, sometimes it's just like that.