Thursday, April 29, 2010

Chicago


The Gf and I got good free tickets to catch this, courtesy of her boss. This is what I thought of it.

ITS A GOOD THING I DIDN'T SPEND THE MONEY ON THE TICKETS!

Ok, let me get it clear first. I'm not the kind of guy who gets a freebie and then says how bad it is. But this one really wasn't very good.

The reviewer in Today Newspaper agrees.

Basically, like the Gf says, they got dancers first, singers next. It was more cabaret than musical. Sexy costumes (which never changed), best dancing i've seen in a musical but the singing was weak (save for Roxy's hubby), the acting wooden, and was very disappointed in the set (what set?).

I've seen so much better local productions (SingDollar, Dim Sum Dollies).

To be fair, perhaps they fell prey to being in the shadow of a Hollywood Blockbuster. But even so, the director did not play up the sparring between Roxy and Velma, which was the crux of the plot. The Lawyer was wooden but yes, he did succeed in making the audience hate him (for being on stage that is).

Forgettable. If you didn't catch it. Its ok.

No comments: