Monday, November 26, 2007

Of Taking Photos in Threes and being Comfortable Alone

I was at a party on Saturday night. It was good to celebrate Thanksgiving with your friends, and to be surrounded by laughter, lots of indiscriminate teasing, and being able to catch up with those people that you don’t get to see very often. And of course, to give thanks for the year that has passed.

The host is an avid photographer. He is able to take the most amazing shots of sunsets, wildlife that you have ever seen.

So there he was, walking around, taking photos of everyone at the party.

Unfortunately, but as usually is the case now, everyone was “coupled up”. You know when you are that age where all your friends are with someone? There were one or two persons who were not together with their partners, but they had come with a sibling, cousin etc… you get my drift. I was the only one there alone.

For the rest of the night, I was a plus one to couple / sibling shots. I’m sure my friends didn’t mind, and I certainly didn’t, but what got me thinking was how people are complete until they have partners. These partners could be Girl-Girl, Boy-Boy, or Boy-Girl, it doesn’t matter. As much as I was having fun, I could see my friends having more fun, because they have someone special in their lives.

I’m honestly happy for them, and they are really happy now. Which is what matters, really.

Which brings me to the second half of the title. I’ve met many friends, who have said that they are comfortable being alone. And how they don’t mind spending the weekend just lazing about at home. To that, I have 2 thoughts. One, I used to think I liked that, but I realised that the only reason why I could not mind spending time alone, was because I knew I had the option not to. Two, I believe that as much as people say that they are comfortable being alone, they will actually like not to be, or be given the option to be with someone.

Pardon the emo post on a Monday morning.

No comments: